Happy Father's Day to all of you Dad's out there! I hope it's a great day for you and your loved ones. It's raining here in Michigan, but rain is good luck and without it, we wouldn't have our abundance of delicious fruits and vegetables or the beautiful flowers that bloom in every color of the rainbow and then some.
Does anyone know the origin of Father's Day? I didn't. I'm not sure I've thought of it until today. Which leads me to the five facts below:
- Father's Day was established at the behest of Sonora Smart Dodd, the daughter of William Jackson Smart. Sonora was one of six children raised by Smart, a single parent. Sonora heard a Mother's Day sermon at her church and thought that fathers should have the same recognition. Way to go, Sonora! I guess she wasn't sleeping in church...
- Not so fast. While Sonora got the ball rolling and insisted Father's Day is a thing, it was not actually recognized as a federal holiday until Richard Nixon signed a law in 1972.
- Father's Day is (mostly) celebrated worldwide. How cool is that?!
- Father's Day is the fourth largest holiday for greeting cards sales. The last fact I'm going to throw at you leaves me wondering...coming at you with a twist...
- Father's Day is (let's call this one a rumor but I had to add it) the busiest day of the year for collect phone calls (this could be a whole post within itself).
Well, that's a wrap! I hope you learned something new-I did. While gifts are not proof of love, IF you are searching for a last minute gift for Dad (or yourself), you can't go wrong with an Amazon Prime membership or an Audible free trial.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.